Tuesday 30 August 2016

7 years ago ! I was appointed Chief Presss Secretary , CPS ! by Wale Ojo Lanre



7 years ago ! I was appointed Chief Presss Secretary , CPS !
yes , 7 years ago ! I was appointed Chief Presss Secretary , CPSto Engineer Segun Oni , then Governor of Ekiti State
I was in far away Ghana exploring he tourism sites of the great Gold coast and being hosted by a Nigeria sister like no other one Queen,,,in her beautiful house located in East Legion .
At exactly 1 am on this date , a call forced its way through my phone and the man on the other end was calm , polite , brotherly and pleasant
And here on this side , I was in a convivial mood , having in my hand a glass cup which was half full with a red ointment called whisky made by Johnny walker for we were celebrating a memorable event .
Not losing my senses tto the ointment , , I asked "Who is calling me at this hour of the night from Nigeria ?
In a soft smooth voice the man on the other end said "My name is Segun Oni ..... ..."
this statement hit me like a bolt from Sango and the glass cup in my hand dropped, broke with its content splattered on the floor .
I quickly reassured myself back
And the message
"I have just directed that your name be announced as my Chief Press Secretary . I will be leaving for South Africa tomorrow and will be back in a week time . "
i asked whether I should join him in South Africa for I had just came back on a trip to Cape Town nad its environs with uncle Edmund Jones and others courtesy of South African Tourism and he said I should take my time and sort myself out properly with the Nigerian Tribune.
I was shocked by this appointment
First , I never for once dreamt of it
Second , I never for once lobbied for it
Thirdly , I never for once discussed , entertained or canvassed to be CPS
i wondered who could have been responsible for this
Though , I have a long time relationship with the trio of Bra Segun Oni , Segun Ilori and Babafemi Ojudu through my Late uncle Femi Oyeobu
And i remember that I once visited Engineer Segun Oni's house at Owena Street , Abacha Estate opposite Abuja Sheraton Hotels and Towers in company of two of my friends , Wole Oladimeji , who was then a journalist with Business day newspaper who is now the CPS to the Deputy speaker , House of Representatives and Frank Meke, Tourism columnist with the Sun Newspaper when he was not so active in politics where I saw a plague of honour by awarded him by all the staff of Rank Xerox in kenya describing him as a fortune changer .
I remember that I told him he was an asset to Nigeria and Ekiti State.
He engaged us in a tourism discourse revealing how vast he is on safari and ecotourism development in Kenya.
This encounter endeared him greatly to Wole and Frank who predicted that "this your man will be a participant in the Nigerian destiny soonest "
but apart from this , one man who has been my nemesis , mentor and adviser is Segun Ilori but he never for once .discussed this with me .
For , i was then a gallant Two stars NUJ Chairman in Oyo State .
..
After this phone conversation , I went into prayer session with the friend who was on the trip with me .
The first person i pulled a call to was one Taiye Oguntayo who was the then Chairman, NUJ , Ekiti state , a man who i fought and worked earnestly for at the risk of my family at becoming the chairman .I never knew i was to become the CPS later .
I also informed Yemi Adaramodu ,who was the spokesperson for the Action Congress of Nigeria , ACN , a party in morbid opposition with the PDP government in Ekiti State .
Then i pulled calls to Lere Olayinka ,.and Kola Igandan who were appointed as my Assistants .to work with me in the Office of the Chief Press Secretary .
I give glory to God for this unsolicited appointment from Chief Segun Oni and I will be eternally grateful to him for believing in me and still trusting me till today .
That singlar appointment exposed me to understand the inner working of government , understand the people and their political antics
But essentially , that appointment also created an opportunity for me working with the most notable man of INTEGRITY in Nigeria
One can see why I cannot dump him or forsake him no matter where he is or what he does . He is the best man of INTEGRITY i ever met in my life .
He left government with only 8 million naira home and abroad . .
7 years ago , I remember . .
Prince Tope Eluyefa
29 August 2009 ·
CONGRATULATIONS TO MY BROTHER ND BOSS WORLD CHAIRMAN WALE OJO LANRE WHO IS NOW D CPS 2 EKITI STATE GOVERNOR IT IS A STEP TO A GREATER HEIGHT...EKITI KETE TOTAL EMANCIPATION

No comments:

Post a Comment